Estate planning is often associated with preparing for the unforeseen after our time on this Earth. But as we grow, change, and form deep bonds with those we love, it’s crucial to ensure that our significant others are appropriately included in these plans. After all, they are the ones who are intimately woven into the fabric of our daily lives, and they deserve to be recognized, supported, and protected when we’re no longer around. This is especially true for couples who aren’t married or in a legal partnership.
With the expertise of professionals like Attorney Andrew Fesler, you can ensure that your significant other is properly taken care of in your estate plan.
Why is it Important to Include Your Significant Other?
When a person passes away without a proper estate plan in place, state laws determine how their assets are divided. Most often, this distribution goes in favor of legally recognized relationships, such as marriage or blood relatives. This means that significant others, especially those who aren’t married to the deceased, might be left out in the cold, even if they were the closest person to the deceased during their lifetime.
By explicitly including your significant other in your estate plan, you can:
1. Ensure they have a roof over their head. Whether it’s the home you shared together or another property, you can designate that your significant other continues to live there or benefits from its sale.
2. Provide them with financial stability. Assets like bank accounts, stocks, or life insurance can be directed toward supporting your significant other’s financial well-being.
3. Give sentimental items. Many times, it’s not just about financial assets. Maybe there’s a piece of jewelry, a cherished book, or a shared memento that holds great sentimental value. You can ensure these items go to your significant other.
4. Avoid disputes. Clearly designating your wishes can help reduce any potential conflicts among family members and friends about who gets what.
How Attorney Andrew Fesler Can Help
Navigating the intricacies of estate planning can be challenging. Each state has its nuances when it comes to laws and requirements. That’s where Attorney Andrew Fesler comes in. As a Carlsbad Estate Planning Attorney, Andrew brings a wealth of experience and a keen understanding of the legalities involved.
Here’s how Attorney Andrew Fesler can be of invaluable assistance
1. Personalized Consultation: Every person’s situation is unique. Attorney Fesler will sit down with you, understand your needs and concerns, and tailor an estate plan that aligns with your wishes.
2. Drafting and Reviewing Documents: Whether it’s a will, a trust, or power of attorney, Attorney Fesler will ensure that all necessary documents are accurately drafted and reflect your desires.
3. Staying Updated: Laws change, and it’s essential to have an estate plan that’s in sync with the current legal landscape. Attorney Fesler will help in periodically reviewing and updating your plan.
4. Clarifying Legal Jargon: Legal documents can be a maze of complex terminology. Attorney Fesler will demystify these for you, ensuring you understand every aspect of your estate plan.
Take the Next Step
If you’ve been contemplating securing the future for your significant other, there’s no time like the present. It’s not just about distributing assets; it’s about peace of mind, love, and ensuring your significant other is protected and cared for.
For those in and around Carlsbad, the expertise of Estate Planning Attorney Andrew Fesler is just a phone call away. Don’t leave things to chance. Ensure that your loved ones are taken care of in the manner you desire.
Contact Carlsbad Estate Planning Attorney Andrew Fesler at (760) 444-0943. Let him guide you through this essential journey, ensuring your significant other’s future is as you envision.